- Teeth whitening is a process which can be done at the dental clinic as well as at home. For at home procedures, one needs to wear teeth whitening trays which can be manufactured at the dental laboratory after taking an impression of teeth and gums. These trays are taken home, smeared with whitening gel and worn over the teeth and gums. This is done for a given number of hours each day and a given number of days. Slowly, but surely, the teeth start to whiten. However, this action is temporary.
- The whitened teeth can get stained with time if proper oral hygiene and care is not taken. For this to not happen, one should brush the teeth at least twice daily and for at least two minutes each time. Also, if possible, the patient should brush his or her teeth each time after consuming food or drink. If this is not possible, the patient should at least rinse the mouth thoroughly well after each consumption.
- Teeth whitening in the dental clinic involves firstly prepping up the teeth. These teeth are then smeared with whitening cream. A laser beam is passed over the teeth for a given duration of time and at a given wavelength. This process will result in the teeth becoming whiter by several degrees or shades. Also, this step can be repeated one more time for best results.
- However, teeth whitening, even at the dental clinic, is not a permanent solution to this issue. Such teeth too can become stained again if proper oral care is not taken. Teeth whitening can also be done at the dental clinic by using dental veneers. The veneer is a thin dental aid which is cemented onto the surface of the tooth. This covers up the stained surface of the tooth.
- Teeth whitening can also be done with the use of whitening toothpaste and whitening gums. This process, too, is temporary. Eating food items like beetroot can cause the teeth to get stained. Even drinking too much of black tea, coffee, red wine et al. can cause the teeth to stain. Hence, if one does so, it is best to rinse the mouth or brush the teeth immediately afterward. This will help the whitened teeth to stay white and not get stained again.
- There are a few disadvantages of teeth whitening as well. Some feel that the teeth tend to become rougher with whitening action. Also, they feel that overall dentition of the mouth may get a bit affected by such procedures. Hence, it is best to talk to a good dentist before going in for such procedures. These are cosmetic and the person ends up with a sparkling and a beautiful smile. These can be taken on by any good dentist and also by a cosmetic dentist.
For more details contact: 875 N. Greenfield Road, Suite 114 Gilbert, AZ 85234. Call: (480)420-3930.